Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Asian Rice and Vegetable Bowl with Eggs and Chili Sauce, and Menu for 1/30/11-2/5/11


My mother-in-law gave me a year's subscription to Real Simple magazine as a Christmas gift.  I'm really enjoying this magazine because it has a bit of everything, from fashion, recipes, health information, and storage tips.  I found a few recipes in here that look wonderful (like Chicken Adobo from last week).  This Asian Rice Bowl dish sounded a bit like Korean Bibimbap to me (which I LOVE), with the egg on top.  The husband loves eggs on anything so I knew I would be making the recipe very soon.

I didn't have any sweet Thai chili sauce so I added a bit of soy sauce and honey instead.  I know soy sauce and honey are very different from actual sweet chili sauce but I wanted to keep the sauce more savory/spicy with a hint of sweetness, rather than sweet with a hint of spicy/savoriness.  Call me a fool, but that's what I like.

The verdict: A simple, flavorful, colorful dish that could easily be adapted for different vegetables, added meat, fried tofu, etc.  The vegetables could even be grilled in the summertime!  I also got to use the new bowls I got for my birthday, too!   The sauce was quite spicy because I omitted the sweet chili sauce, but that was fine for us.

Asian Rice and Vegetables Bowl with Eggs and Chili Sauce
Source:  Real Simple Magazine, February 2011 issue

2/3 cup short grain brown rice
1/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce, such as A Taste of Thai (omitted)
3 to 4 teaspoons Sriracha or Asian chili-garlic sauce (I used 2 tbsp of Sriracha)
3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
2 red or yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced (I used 1 red and 1 green)
2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin sticks
2 tbsp and 1 tsp of canola oil
4 large eggs
(I added 1 tbsp each of wheat-free soy sauce and honey to the sauce in place of the sweet chili sauce)

Cook the rice according to the package directions.  In a small bowl, combine the sweet chili sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, and vinegar; set aside.

Meanwhile, heat oven to 450 F.  After the rice has been cooking for 25 minutes, place the broccoli, bell peppers, and carrots on a large rimmed baking sheet; toss with 2 tbsp of canola oil.  Roast, tossing once, until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

Heat remaining canola oil in a large no-stick skillet over medium heat.  Crack the eggs into the skillet and cook, covered, 2 to 3 minutes for slightly runny yolks.  Serve the vegetables and eggs over the rice and drizzle with the sauce.

Oh, and this week's menu:

Sunday: B-Oatmeal; L-out for Dimsum; D-Veggie stirfry, potato salad and miso soup

Monday: B-Spelt toast with PB, and a kiwi; L-leftover dimsum; D-leftover dimsum

Tuesday: B-Spelt toast with PB, and a kiwi; L-Mochi with seaweed, tortilla chips, veggie sticks; D-Asian Rice Bowl with Veggies and Egg (see above for recipe).

Wednesday: B-Oatmeal; L-Leftover Asian Rice with Veggies and Egg; D-Roasted asparagus and carrots, chicken sausages, and brown rice.

Thursday: B-Oatmeal; L-Leftover asparagus and carrots, chicken sausage, and rice; D-Out for Indian food.

Friday: B-Oatmeal; L-Leftover Indian food; D-Baked tofu slices with Sriracha-soy-sesame oil sauce, miso-based soup with napa, carrots and shiratake noodles.

Saturday: B/L-Pork breakfast links, sunny-side-up eggs; Late lunch/snack- Guacamole, salsa, and tortilla chips; D-Leftover miso soup

No comments:

Post a Comment